Job Description – Rural Environmental Coordinator
Sentinelles Petitcodiac Riverkeeper (SPR) is a not-for-profit organization. Our main objective is to restore the ecological health of the Petitcodiac and Memramcook River watersheds, including the Shepody Bay Estuary, located in southeastern New Brunswick. We play the role of investigator, scientist, educator, and advocate. We protect and defend our rivers by educating the public, organizing community events, gathering input through public dialogues, responding to citizen pollution complaints, and using existing laws to bring polluters to justice. We act as a public voice for our waterways, protecting our right to clean water and healthy watersheds.
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will be responsible for communicating regularly with key community stakeholders, including community groups, non-profits, local government, businesses and other stakeholders, as identified by the Executive Director.
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will help develop marketing materials under the supervision of the Executive Director and Director of Communications.
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will be responsible for tracking participation metrics for the events to share with the board of directors, funders, and the public. (ie. number of community events, number of participants)
– Due to COVID-19, the events described may take place entirely online or with restrictions. The Executive Director will be responsible for ensuring the event follows Public Health guidelines and protocols. The Rural Environmental Coordinator will be responsible for following the COVID-19 adaptation plan under the supervision of the Executive Director.
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director and community stakeholders to present the Memramcook Causeway Feasibility Study to the public and help record feedback during two separate community dialogues (hosted in English/French).
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will help with data collection related to the Memramcook Causeway, and will aid the Executive Director with communications about the feasibility of removing the Memramcook Causeway to stakeholders, governments, and the public.
Economic Development and Eco-tourism:
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will communicate with tourism stakeholders, local government, and members of the public to host an Opportunities for Eco-Tourism symposium, with the goal of collecting input for the development of an Economic Development and Opportunities for Eco-tourism Action Plan.
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will help develop an Economic Development and Opportunities for Eco-tourism Action Plan for rural communities along the Memramcook River, with support from the Executive Director.
Community Action Plan:
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will work with the Executive Director to develop a Community Action Plan for the Memramcook River and Causeway, identifying steps needed to implement the community’s vision for the Memramcook River, including removal of the causeway, as determined from the community and tourism stakeholders dialogues.
– The Rural Environmental Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director to implement the Community Action Plan, including communicating with key stakeholders, developing environmental campaigns for public support, collecting data to support the community’s vision, and preparing grant proposals.
Skills and experience:
– Excellent written communication
– Ability to work independently and communicate effectively with team members
– Ability to understand scientific reports
– Comfortable speaking in public, and ability to adapt presentations to different audiences
– Digital skills to help produce online content as needed
– Strong understanding of climate change and environmental protection
– Ability to communicate orally in English and French an asset
Full-time $20/hr for one year. Possibility of extension.
This job is made possible through the Science Horizons Internship Program, applicants must be eligible for internship program. To view eligibility, visit here.
To apply please contact Krysta Cowling at email@example.com
Application deadline: September 6th 2021.